Silver Star Steak Company
Much like Montana, the Silver Star brings a relaxed sort of elegance to its visitors that is hard to find anywhere else. When you join us for an afternoon or evening, you get more than a meal. You get an experience centered around our firm dedication to excellence. It’s our belief in quality—from the local goods we source, to our superior service, to the Certified Angus Beef we use—that has made us Montana’s premiere steakhouse for the past two years in a row.
Whether you’re looking for the relaxed atmosphere of our lounge or a more intimate evening in our dining area, the Silver Star Steak Company offers an experience you won’t forget.
The Owners, Jim Bos & Kurt Shull
If you would have told a young Jim Bos he would someday be a restaurant owner, he most surely would not have believed you. A local man who was born and raised in Montana, Jim chose Montana State University as the place he’d finish his undergrad. The degree he was handed on graduation day was not one of business, financing or anything else you’d associate with his current profession.
Instead, he majored in architecture, a field he worked in for over 20 years. When probed about his transition from architecture to the restaurant world, Jim doesn’t find it all too strange. “They both take a certain type of creativity,” he explains. That creativity is what has helped Jim become such a successful owner. It’s kept him one step ahead in an environment that is always changing and posing new challenges. Along with his creativity, it’s Jim’s finance acumen that makes him a Renaissance man as an owner.
In the 1980’s, Jim met a young dishwasher working in the back of a friend’s restaurant. This meeting with Kurt Shull set the wheels in motion that led to their successful business partnership. He and Kurt have worked alongside one another for nearly four decades, and it’s a partnership that the Montana community has deeply benefited from.
Vice President in charge of Operations
Kurt Shull is the effortless personification of all the things you love about Montana. He’s a hard‐working, quality‐driven man with a peaceful kind of quiet to him. Fourteen years from when he first opened the doors to Silver Star, Kurt still gets out of bed every day with the same mission in mind—to create a quality culinary experience that satisfies his customers.
That’s what it’s all about for the longtime owner. He’s gone above and beyond to make sure that every aspect of his business is rooted in the kind of quality that makes for an outstanding experience. And for Kurt, “It all starts in the back.” From making sure his staff is happy to bringing as many local goods into his kitchen as possible, Kurt puts an exceptional level of care into the customer’s meal before it’s even on the table.
As for those local ingredients, they’ll find themselves divvied into an array of menu items that give the Helena restaurant one of the most unique menus in town. For Kurt, determining what items end up on his menu is a combination of creativity and steadfast loyalty. He isn’t afraid to try something new that pushes the boundaries of Montana cuisine, but will always listen to his customers. He keeps his ear to the ground about they like best, and they keep coming back year after year.
General Manager, Francois Zanni
Born in the French Alps to an Italian mother and French father, Francois’ European influence is palpable—from his belief that the right wine will truly enhance an already great steak to his respect for his craft. That craft has coursed through Francois’ veins since he was born and can be traced back through four generations of family chefs.
After owning his own restaurant for 21 years, Francois brings his knowledge and expertise to the Silver Star for an even more superb dining experience. Look for him on the floor where you’ll find him suggesting a good wine pairing, chatting with customers and ensuring the entire dining experience is delectable.
- Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2010.
- Born and raised in Helena, MT.
- Favorite menu item is the Seared Scallops.
- When he’s not in the kitchen he loves spending time with family.
• Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2002.
• Born and Raised in Monterey, CA.
• Favorite menu item is the 16oz Ribeye.
• She loves skiing, hiking and running in her free time.
- Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2008.
- Born in Missoula, MT and raised in Great Falls, MT.
- Favorite menu item is the 24oz Porterhouse Steak.
- Jeff is a big sports enthusiast and enjoys camping .
• Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2014.
• Born and raised in Helena, MT.
• Favorite menu item is the Filet Mignon with Mushrooms.
• Lexie loves spending time with her nieces and hiking.
- Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2015.
- Born and raised in Ashland, OR.
- Favorite menu item is the Montana Center Cut Sirloin.
- In her free time Christina loves exploring Montana.
• Part of the Silver Star Steak Company team since 2015.
• Born in Salt Lake City, UT and raised in Sandy, OR.
• Favorite menu item is the Montana Center Cut Sirloin.
• When not managing the bar, you’ll find Christopher hiking and enjoying the outdoors.